Dave Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 13:12:14 UTC 2009

Mike S wrote:
> At 02:28 AM 8/20/2009, paul at greenrover.demon.co.uk wrote...
>> Dave Ackrill wrote:
>>
>>> See http://www.uk-rec-sheds.org.uk
>>> Where was born the international standard unit of time - the
>>> fortnight...
>>
>> Not everything can be attributed to the "modern" computer world.
>
> Indeed. According to the OED, "fortnight" comes from Old English, and
> started out as "fourteen nights."

I was alluding, in an amusing way, to the use of the fortnight as a
standard measurement of time as being something that was used in a
Usenet newsgroup.  Not that the term was invented by the shed.

Yes, I have used the term 'fortnight' to mean two weeks since I was very
young, and that was also before the explosion of the use of the
internet, as I was born in the early 1960s...

Oh, I'll give up.  Either everyone else is being ironic, and I'm missing
the point, or I'm being taken far more seriously in this thread than I
had intended.