[time-nuts] Measurements

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 09:52:16 UTC 2009

Not only does it increase the least count of the scale, but it tends
to average out the errors of the scale
like ellipticity and eccentricity, because there is always
360.000000000000000000000000000000 degrees in a full circle.
cheers, Neville Michie

On 22/08/2009, at 7:33 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

> Sanjeev Gupta wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 15:19, Ulrich Bangert <df6jb at ulrich-
>> bangert.de>wrote:
>>>  Which in turn lead to the invention of a new class of surveyor
>>> instruments, which in turn enabled the French to measure the
>>> distance from
>>> the equator to the north pole (assumed to be 1/4 of the
>>> circumference) with
>>> a precision that must be admired even from a today point of view.
>>> I do not
>>> know the english term for it but in German these instruments are
>>> called
>>> "Repetitionskreis". You can find a pictue of one here:
>>>

>>> http://www.bistumsmuseen-regensburg.de/html/
>>> ausstellungen_moenche_repetition
>>> skreis.htm<http://www.bistumsmuseen-regensburg.de/html/