[time-nuts] Den Connors, KD2S

Tom Clark, K3IO tom.k3io at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 04:35:11 UTC 2009

   I'm sure that many early TAPRites remember TAPR's first President, Den
   Connors, KD2S. Den was active in Tucson circa 1982-83 at the formation
   of TAPR, during the TNC-1 days. Some info on Den can be seen at
   [1]http://www.tapr.org/history.html, as documented in the first PSR
   ([2]http://www.tapr.org/pub_psr1.html). The early TAPR PSRs can be read
   at [3]http://www.ka9q.net/newsletters.html. In 1982 (in PSR #2), Den
   and I made the first proposal for an amateur radio packet satellite.
   Around 1984, Den moved east to take a job at Wang Computers in Lowell,
   MA.
   Den's story can be read at
   [4]http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/denconnors. I lost touch with him
   in ~1986. Just tonite, I got this sad note from Ralph, KD1SM that I
   want to share with you:

     I don't know if you or other TAPR/AMSAT old-timers are still
     in contact with Den Connors KD2S.  I know you two worked
     together a lot in early packet days.
     If you have not kept in touch with Den, then I'm sorry to tell you
     that he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma two years
     ago.  I'm even sorrier to tell you that a bone marrow transplant
     that had been scheduled for this week has been canceled.  The
     message circulated among his colleagues reads:
       "Den was simply too ill to proceed.  A PET scan was done yesterday
       and it found that the cancer has spread through out his whole
     body.
       He will come home tomorrow and be attended to by the Hospice
     folks.
       Doctors estimate approx 5 weeks.  I can t tell you how truly Den
     will
       be missed by all who knew him.  If any of you have read his Caring
       Bridge I m sure you can understand what incredible spirit Den has.
     "
     Regards,
     Ralph Swick KD1SM
     Nashoba Valley Amateur Radio Club