[time-nuts] Advice on 5370A vs 5370B differences please

swingbyte swingbyte at exemail.com.au
Sat Aug 29 12:17:38 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <72C46D68028C463EBDB775EE14FB9578 at LapTop>, "Roy Phillips" writes:
>
>> Tim
>> I have recently acquired a 5370B and find your comments of interest. So in
>> addition, what was the intention of designing the mother-board to have no
>> less than three additional (and in my case,unused) pcb slots following the
>> uP and Display interface, marked ROM, MEM(optional) and SERVICE(AID)
>>

> The backplane is the same as in the 5370A.
>
> The SERVICE AID is mentioned in the manual, amongst other things it has
> two D/A converters so you can watch the address bus on a X/Y scope.
>
> The optional MEM I have not found any references to, but the 5370A might
> have its ram there.

According to the manual, the 5370A has its ram on a separate card.  I
think these units use a bit of power - this might explain the heat.  I'm
none to sure as to how useful the service aid would be.  I remember a
project in a mag about these back in the '80s and suspect that like the
signature analyser, they were experiments in digital circuit
troubleshooting.  I haven't seen the technique used extensively.  ( at
all ).  It is a bit like a real time software profiler - I have seen it
used but the usefulness was not too great.

Tim
p.s.  Did my original post make the newsgroup, or just one person?