[time-nuts] OT: Power level reference

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Dec 1 08:17:02 UTC 2009

In message <c793a5fe0911302041p1bcde3e0p13deca7efe9c9cad at mail.gmail.com>, Josep
h Gray writes:

>We all have our various highly accurate frequency and perhaps time
>references. Is there a relatively simple and inexpensive method of
>making an accurate RF power level reference? If so, then what do we
>calibrate it with, not already having such an accurate reference?

I investigated that some time ago, in relation to calibrating the
HP3458A.

The way you do it, is with a thermal converter.

I've been playing around to see if instead of a thermocouple it would
be possible to do the sensing by infrared light, and it looks possible
but I have not spent enough time to nail it usably yet.