[time-nuts] OT: Power level reference

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Wed Dec 2 01:49:52 UTC 2009

Hi

Boonton has made power meters (RF milivolt meters to be more precise) for a long time. They also make a calibrator for them.

If you tear into the calibrator, it's a very simple gizmo. They take the output of a buffered logic gate and feed it into a big low pass filter. A few resistors / pads here and there keep things from getting to crazy impedance wise.

You can do pretty much the same thing with a cheap clock oscillator and a good set of buffer gates. Supply the gates from a very accurate supply and the square wave is going to be very predictable. The main gotcha is to not load the output to heavily. No direct drive into 50 ohms, no giant capacitors to ground ....

The same approach works for a low level signal source. They can be very useful to check calibration on things like signal generators and spectrum analyzers.

Bob