[time-nuts] OT: Power level reference

David C. Partridge david.partridge at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 2 08:54:12 UTC 2009

>In fact, on the Tek 7704 or 7704A (I forget which) there were "No Cost"
>options of maximally flat frequency response OR best pulse response. OR!

I think you may find the option was best pulse response OR an increased 3dB
frequency of 275 MHz.   The difference is just an matter of adjusting the
compensation in the vertical amp.   The best pulse response in terms of
least overshoot etc, also gives a flatter response in the pass band (which
it should as this is effectively adjusting to give a pure Bessel response).
The higher 3dB frequency version gave considerable overshoot on the pulse
response, and a "bumpier" pass band.

I was quite surprised to find quite HOW bumpy the pass band can be the first
time I did a check on my 7904 using an SG504.

Dave