[time-nuts] FE-30 OCXO

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Fri Dec 4 05:10:18 UTC 2009

I came across a rather large OCXO from Frequency Electronics. The
model number is: FE-30-OPC-2F. The frequency is: 10.763889MC. The
pinout for the octal plug on the base is also labeled as follows:

1: +28VDC
2: Oven Monitor
3: Oven Ret.
4: Spare
5: Spare
6: Osc. Ret.
7: +28VDC Osc.
8: Spare

I have a few questions. Can pins 1 and 7 be tied together to the same
28VDC supply? If so, then I assume pins 3 and 6 can also be tied
together? I assume that pin 2 is simply some output voltage,
proportional to the oven temperature? Is it safe to just apply power
and let it run without using pin 2?

Once I know how to power this thing without blowing it up, I'll hook
it up to a scope and take a look at both pin 2 and the oscillator
output on the BNC.

In case anyone is interested, here are the dimensions, not counting
the octal plug and BNC: 5" high x 3" x 3". There is a "Frequency
Adjustment" screw on the top.

I did a Google search, but didn't turn up any information on this
unit. I was rather surprised, considering the name Frequency
Electronics. Does anyone know the history of these things?

One last question. The can is soldered at the base. Is is possible to
unsolder it and replace the crystal without destroying things?

Joe Gray
KA5ZEC