[time-nuts] Would a Resolution T work?

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Fri Dec 4 14:54:46 UTC 2009

At 09:14 AM 12/4/2009, John Green wrote...
>I always thought the microprocessor in a Z3801 had to talk to the GPS
>receiver for it to work.

It does, which is why you would leave the existing VP in place, and
wire around its PPS signal. The Z3801A would then have no knowledge
that the PPS wasn't coming from the VP, assuming the VP was indicating
valid PPS (otherwise the Z3801A would go into holdover).

>Anyway, would a Resolution T work to supply 1 PPS?

Conceivably, anything with an output similar to the VP (0-5 V, sync on
rising edge, 200 ms pulse) could.

>Would it be better or worse than the existing Oncore?

That's the real question to be answered.