[time-nuts] OT: Disk Drive recovery.

Markus Kern mkern at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 7 15:53:40 UTC 2009

I haven't been following the recent disk drive thread but the
mention of grc.com on this list makes me cringe. Steve Gibson is the
kind of guy who has just enough knowledge about any given subject to
be dangerous. See for example [1] and specifically [2] in this case.

I have never used Spinrite but given Gibson's track record in computer
security I would never use any code he has written in an attempt to
recover data that is in the slightest important to me.

I won't claim that Spinrite doesn't occasionally recover some data
from a disk which has bad sectors but the fact that it writes data
right back to the same drive makes it much more dangerous than helpful.

Spinrite also gives a false sense of security in that people believe a
"repaired" drive can still be used. If a hard disk drive starts
causing read or write errors during normal operation it needs to be
replaced ASAP. Even if some tool appears to have repaired it, it can
no longer be trusted to safely store your data.

[1] http://www.radsoft.net/news/roundups/grc/
[2] http://www.radsoft.net/news/roundups/grc/20060123,00.shtml

--
Markus