[time-nuts] Chooses for a desktop/server NTP external 1PPS reference

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:13:41 UTC 2009

Hi Everybody:

First post, be gentle.  I did some mail-list archive searching and it seems
that a lot of folks have used the Garmin 18x LVC as their 1PPS sync for the
desktop with varied success (5V via USB port and RS-232 for 1PPS?).  At
work, I have experience with an Endrun Cf/Ct receiver connected to a small
CDMA antennae (as well as GPS receiver) which works pretty well (I suppose
its more relative to my crappy motherboard oscillator than anything).  I
have no idea how much they run (I think the CDMA one was like $200 and
something).

What are my options in this realm?  Surprisingly enough, Googling for over
an hour didn't yield much results.  There are tons of companies that offer
various solutions but with little pricing information.  I'd be happy to hear
some suggestions OTHER THAN the Garmin 18x LVC?

(btw is there such a thing as a desktop rubidium atomic clock with 1 PPS?)

Thanks!

-aps