[time-nuts] Chooses for a desktop/server NTP external 1PPS reference

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 15:19:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
> Welcome to the list.
> Another professional option is the Trimble Accutime Gold. http://www.trimble.com/timing/  The older Accutime 2000 and Palisade turn up on ebay. A desk top box is the CNS Clock II http://www.cnssys.com/cnsclock/CNSClockII.php cost about $3000 complete.
> Some idea on if you want new / professional or used / amateur and if you are a keen constructor would allow more targeted advice.

Thanks Robert!

Yeah I didn't really specify price or performance metrics in my
request.  I think I should document this stuff and write up a
beginner's FAQ (I didn't see anything on LeapSecond.com).

Alright, the reason WHY I didn't actually specify much is because I
really don't know WHAT to look for.  I found out today that the
rinky-dinky Endrun Technologies Cf/Ct receivers are 1k each (GPS and
CDMA variants)!  I was kinda shocked because there ain't much to these
units AFAIK.  So I want to step back for a second (pun intended?) and
ask everyone, WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR?  Say I want nanosecond
accuracy with respect to the PPS rising edge to absolute UTC....I know
that for sure.  My target system is FreeBSD though I would like to use
something with Snow Leopard as well (even if that's just ntpd synced
locally to the FreeBSD box).  I am interested in running NanoBSD on a
stand alone system.

As for as assembly, I'm open, though I haven't soldered anything since
undergraduate engineering school in a lab.  I am a software guy by
trade.

Another issue is what governs the price of these units?  I'd like to
think its not going to be like the audio industry.

Hope that helps,

-aps