[time-nuts] HP 105B Modification

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 9 01:18:56 UTC 2009

Ed

The attached circuit is for a JFET input transformer feedback amplifier
with a relatively high input impedance at 10MHz along with relatively
low noise and distortion.
A Minicircuits T9-1 should suffice for the transformer.
The major limitation when using these transformeres is that dc
magnetisation of the core causes distortion.
A differential version using a transformer with centre tapped secondary
and primary will be less sensitive to this in that only dc current
mismatch in the 2 halves of each winding contributes to core magnetisation.

A negative supply is used to ensure the JFET is biased correctly.
Other arrangements such as using a string of capacitively bypassed
diodes (or a Vbe multiplier) in the source circuit are also possible.
Its important for stability that the gain bandwidth of the FET is
somewhat greater than the ft of the pnp transistor.

Bruce