[time-nuts] Beginner's time reference

Heiko Gerstung heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de
Fri Dec 11 13:10:20 UTC 2009

Bill,

he was planning to spend 100 USD on a used Rubidium, I think a Cs is way
over his budget ;-)

But I agree that a Rubidium has a shorter life span and if you get one
for 100 USD on eBay, I would expect it to be "worn out" already.

I would not spend 100 USD on a used oscillator, Rubidium or not, if you
expect to get a -stable- (not -accurate-, full ack) reference.

Regards,
Heiko

WB6BNQ schrieb:
> Charl,
>
> If it is autonomous operation you want, then your only choice is a Cesium Beam
> frequency reference.  By definition it is absolute !  But that does not address
> resolution.  For instance, if the Cs is old tube and noisy, while it may be
> accurate, due to the noise you may not be able to resolve any better then, say, 1
> part in 10-9 (not good).  If you need more absolute resolution, then your only
> choice would be to have a new tube put in or buy another one.
>
> However, all this says nothing about accurate time, because there is no such
> thing !  Accurate time only means something with respect to a recognized
> reference point.  In this case USNO for the USA or another county’s primary lab.
>
> So, if you mean you want accurate time in addition to frequency you will need to
> have a method of comparing or setting your time device to a selected external
> time reference.  This is where the GPS comes into the picture.  It is the medium
> by which you can track and adjust your local time device to an external
> reference, USNO (for GPS), within a given time resolution (down to nanoseconds or
> better).
>
> Because time and frequency are related, having a time reference also gives you a
> frequency reference.  Having a very good local oscillator for the short term
> controlled by the GPS for the long term tracking is a good choice and relatively
> inexpensive compromise between having nothing and spending a lot of money for
> Cesium standard that may only last between 5 and 10 years if new.  Purchasing a
> used Cs is a crap shot, may be good, but could be bad.
>
> While a Rubidium oscillator looks good at first, you need to consider they are
> not a primary reference because they drift, albeit generally slower then a Quartz
> oscillator.  A really good Quartz oscillator will outperform the eBay run of the
> mill Rubidium for short term measurements.  A good Rubidium will prevail for
> medium term measurements and of course provide a much slower drift when in an out
> of lock condition (called holdover) with the GPS tracking.
>
> Another point to consider is the Rubidium has a short lifetime compared to a
> Quartz oscillator.  Things do fail, but the Quartz oscillator likes to have
> continuous operation and, actually, generally improves because of it.  There are
> many Quartz oscillators that are still ticking after 30-40-50 years !  The
> Rubidium, on the other hand, wears out faster when it is turned on with a life
> span of 5 to 10 years if new.
>
> So I would suggest doing some research like reading through the Timenut archives,
> reading various publications available from NIST off the web, perusing TVB’s web
> site at www.leapsecond.com and KO4BB’s site www.ko4bb.com under the timing and
> manuals subpages.  There are a variety of manuals on frequency and time
> equipment.  You should be able to find some hp app-notes on the subject as well.
> [...]

Heiko Gerstung

*MEINBERG Funkuhren* GmbH & Co. KG
Lange Wand 9
D-31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-25
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Email: heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de <mailto:heiko.gerstung at meinberg.de>
Web: www.meinberg.de <http://www.meinberg.de>