[time-nuts] Fwd: rare stuff available (National Company NC-1001 Atomichron)

Philip Pemberton lists at philpem.me.uk
Sun Dec 13 21:27:56 UTC 2009

Spotted this on another mailing list -- thought someone might be
interested in the Atomichron...

Replies to the OP, please -- his name is Dave McGuire, email mcguire AT
neurotica DOT com.

---- begin snip

Subject: rare stuff available
   That's "really rare", not "eBay rare".  My employer was supposed to
get its funding last week and give me a huge cash bonus for putting up
with month-to-month "survival wages" for the past year, but instead,
they've hit a legal snag and now they can't make payroll.  I've gone
from merrily making up shopping lists to abject financial terror over
the course of a day.  With my emergency cash buffer long since gone (see
"survival wages" above), I am in serious short-term trouble.

   So it is with a heavy heart that I must consider parting with a few
things that are dear and precious to me.  Two things in particular are
items that might bring in enough money to help my immediate situation.

   First, I have a set of original DEC OS/8 TU56 distribution tapes.  I
emphasize, these are *original*, nearly pristine, DEC-labeled
distribution tapes.  I've had these for nearly thirty years.  'Nuff said.

   Second, I have an Atomichron.  Yes, a real one, a National Company
model NC-1001.  One of the very few left in existence.  If you don't
know what this is, you probably won't be interested, but in a nutshell
it's the first commercially-produced atomic resonance frequency standard
("atomic clock"), built in 1956.  As far as I've found in my research
there are three of these left of the approximately fifty that were built
between 1956 and 1960.  I've written a short research paper describing
this instrument and its history, including photos; I can provide copies
of it upon request.

   I'm open to negotiation on pricing, but neither will go cheaply.  If
there's someone here who is interested in either of these fairly rare
items, please contact me ASAP.  I'm planning to put one or both of them
on eBay within the next day or so.

              -Dave
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL