[time-nuts] Tbolt Damping setting

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Wed Dec 16 12:54:46 UTC 2009

> Good points, and You got 4 1/2 out of five correct, Not bad at all.

Ha ha - thank you teacher!

Fairy nuff, yes, your plots show the long-term effects.  I would like
to know what the best time-constant is to use.  I appreciate that
everyone's will be different, depending on individual characteristics
of the Thunderbolts, and also (perhaps more importantly) the aerial
and its position.  However, I think it would be interesting to at
least see the relative differences for one location.  I recently
learnt that our national mapping organisation (The Ordnance Survey)
average the results from their L1/L2 Leica 1200 system receivers, for
two hours.  Is the oscillator in the Leica significantly worse than
that in out Thunderbolts, or could we also benefit from a
time-constant of longer than 1000 seconds?

I will try to find a quiet rubidium, and do some comparisons against
that - the results should, at least, be valid out to a few thousand
seconds.  I also plan to try reducing the signal level threshold (from
the current 4AMU) as recently suggested, and try to see some
quantifiable results.

     TTFN,

          Peter Vince  (G8ZZR, London, England)