[time-nuts] Synchronizing to WWV

Justin Pinnix justin at fuzzythinking.com
Sat Dec 19 04:40:34 UTC 2009

Hi Nuts,

Most of you have probably seen this before, but I ran across a great
1975-vintage paper on how to synchronize your clocks and frequency standards
to WWV's HF broadcasts.  The equipment needs are very basic - a clock, a
radio, and an oscilloscope.  The procedure is simple and far more reliable
than the tone-detection method I attempted earlier.

NBS Technical Note 668 - The Use of National Bureau of Standards High
Frequency Broadcasts for Time and Frequency Calibrations (
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/453.pdf)

Yes, I realize that GPS is literally a million times more accurate, but if
all you need is milliseconds,  this will do the job cheaper than a GPSDO or
it could serve as a backup.  Plus it's a lot of fun to stare at the traces.
They are quite hypnotic.

Thanks,
-JP