[time-nuts] LAVOIE LA-800D WWV Timebase Receiver

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Dec 21 04:53:45 UTC 2009

Dave,

Please, folks, don't just turn on a piece of vacuum tube equipment.
That could burn out an irreplaceable power transformer. If you do
not have equipment to test for shorts or bad electrolytics, then
make a jig with a light bulb socket to put the bulb in series with
the line. Start with a 40 watt bulb (CFLs won't work) and work up.
If the bulb is always bright, don't apply line power to the set.

I sold my LA-800 last spring. Don't remember what paper went with it,
but I had the schematic at one time. Sadly, my "filing" system does
not make it possible to retrieve anything without going through all
of the paper collected over 25 years. Try Manuals Plus.

The standard input on the left of the panel feeds selected multipliers
that produce 10 MHz. This is fed to a phase shift network such that
the scope produces a circular sweep at 10 Mc (circles per second).
Sounds like the horizontal scope amp is dead, if you supplied a local
standard signal and the multipliers worked. The 90 deg phase shift only
produces a circle at 10 MHz.

The WWV section on the right side only receives 5 or 15 MHz. Some magic
is used to get 10 MHz out of either carrier. This is used to intensity
(Z input) modulate the circle. Dunno why they don't receive 10 MHz.

Several years ago, here in MN, I had an HP-103 as the standard and was
listening on 5 MHz. Propagation was such that WWV would alternate with
the female voice at WWVH. The bright half of the circle would change
sides, illustrating the phase shift with distance. Neat stuff.

I'm willing to help you get this fine receiver back in action.

Nice workbench.

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net