[time-nuts] Synchronizing to WWV

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Mon Dec 21 13:40:34 UTC 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at 3:55 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

> It doesn't take anything fancy.  ntpd has a couple of drivers that
> use the
> standard audio stuff on a PC.  8K samples per second, alaw.
>
> The IRIG driver works pretty well.  I haven't tried the one for WWV.

I had WWV audio driver working in the late 90's using a Yaesu FT-840
and a SPARCstation 20 if I remember correctly.  I remember trying it
on a SPARCstation LX, and it didn't have enough CPU.  The problem
with the working configuration was that the DSP code consumed
virtually all the old SuperSPARC-II CPU's capacity.  In Intel x86
terms, these were roughly equivalent to a pre-MMX Pentium 90, so a
modern system should fare much better.

de KC6OOM/5