[time-nuts] GPS chicken tracker (slightly OT but sorta-not-really)

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 23 10:22:07 UTC 2009

Jim Palfreyman wrote:
> A friend of mine has asked me for a good GPS method to find out where
> his chickens are laying eggs.
>
> A GPS tracker comes to mind but some
> (http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20060405/really-cool-portable-gps-tracker)
>   seem good but expensive.
>
> Does anyone have any cheap (and possibly smaller) alternatives?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim Palfreyman

Turn the problem on its head and fix a transmitter to each chicken.
One can then use range measurements from several antennas to track the
chickens, just assign a unique PRBS code to each transmitter.
You should be able to do all this with a SDR and some software.
This is likely to be cheaper per chicken than using a GPS tracker.

Bruce