[time-nuts] are any time-nuts also random-nuts?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 23 18:48:32 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <82FEC3B10CF94496AFE52269282D7F34 at bryant1>, "Keith Payea" writes:
>> Hello All:
>>
>> There are several electrical noise based random number generators, but most
>> were concieved in a time when there was a lot less EM pollution of the
>> airwaves.
>
> Actually, that has always been a concern.
>
> As far as I know, the first RNG to be connected to a computer was this
> one:
> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/DASK_rng.pdf
>
> And they specifically had to use a Lead-Acid battery as filament
> supply for the noise diode to avoid EMC issues.

The first analog random generator that was hooked to any form of digital
circuit must be the random generator used to generate the key-records
used in the SIGSALY system during WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGSALY

It's fun to read up on the SIGSALY story. Spend some time during the
hollidays to read up on it. :)

I think you will realize there is some interesting time synchronisation
issues in there. :)

Cheers,
Magnus