[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 24 16:15:21 UTC 2009

Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> So if I want to set up 4 uncorrelated systems, that would require 20
>> tons of
>> water split into 4 tubs. Each tub would be roughly 3' x 4' x 15'. Of
>> course
>> if they are all in the same basement, I still have a correlation
>> problem. My
>> guess is that no matter what I do, any system that controls all the
>> systems
>> the same way will run into correlation.
>>
>> Oils, silicon fluids, and the like mostly hold less heat than water so
>> the
>> tubs would get bigger. Maybe a few tons of mercury...
>>
> Try about 145 tons of mercury per rubidium source as the specific heat
> of mercury is about 1/29 that of water.

This seems exceedingly unhealthy.... 145 tons of mercury in pools in the
basement. Not that I don't deal with mercury at home, but fairly well
contained and giving me readings in mm Hg as I go to work or come home.

Mineral oil seems more healthy. Not to speak of active systems.

Merry Christmas.

Cheers,
Magnus