[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Dec 24 20:50:39 UTC 2009

Hi

The gotcha with temperature compensation is that there are a lot of different time constants involved. Put another way, when the temperature does a step change, the "results" are still happening >2K seconds later, and they are related to the speed of the change. Simply coming up with a full set of coefficients is likely to be a mess. Once you do, you will find out if they are repeatable or not ...

The computer water cool systems look like a fairly simple way to go. You could run a water loop and simply heat (or cool) the water well away from the enclosure. It's not going to be high speed control, but with big enough mass in the enclosure it probably does not have to be.

I'm not really convinced that you buy enough with a platinum RTD over a good glass thermistor to make it worth the trouble. The TC of the thermistor is 10X that of the RTD and that helps in a fixed point system. A Hart RTD will hold < 0.001 C in a triple point cell for as long as the ice lasts. A good thermistor will do the same. The stability of either one is "good enough" in this application.

Bob