[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium (heatpipe cooling for)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 24 21:59:02 UTC 2009

> A heat pipe might work if the fluid had a sufficiently low boiling
> point. The rubidium isn't terribly tolerant of high temperatures, and
> I'm going to pick up some heat rise as I put it inside some baffles /
> shields. You need to find something that fits a fairly narrow window.

This is all backwards.

The main reason the typical Rubidium box needs a serious heat sink is that
there is an active heater inside it heating up the lamp to get it up to
operating temperature.  That part of the system better be "tolerant" of high
(enough) temperature.

Maybe things would be a lot better/simpler if the heating/cooling we have
been discussing were split into two sections.  One for the lamp assembly, and
a second for the electronics.

Anybody know what the thermal coefficient of the lamp is relative to the
electronics?