[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium (heatpipe cooling for)

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Dec 24 22:11:55 UTC 2009

Hi

I looked at it that way for quite a while. More or less: A rubidium is like an OCXO, and running it at the upper end of the specified range is just fine.

Then I cooked a few rubidiums ....

The real answer appears to be that the "rest" of the circuitry in there drops MTBF quickly as it gets hotter. The cell runs just fine, but the circuits that drive it die. There are tables in the data sheets that pretty well document this.

Since these gizmos already have been out in the field for a while, I need to get all the life I can out of them.

Bob