[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidium (heatpipe cooling for)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 25 00:51:07 UTC 2009

Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The original intent was to simply take an existing "cheap" rubidium and do simple things to it. Tearing it into pieces and redesigning parts of it was not anything I originally contemplated. The tight integration of the physics package to the electronics would make this a fairly involved process.

Well, the main point with that was that while passive temperature
stability craze have been raving high here, and into more and more
expensive and elaborate propositions, relative simple changes (not
without its challenges) would change the equation (amount of heat to
cool of) quite noticeably. If money was no object, building
no-compromise/prisoners temperature stabilization scehemes around used
commercial rubidiums should not be the optimum way to go. Building a
Rubidum or Cesium fointain would probably be way better use of the
money. Quite a different project thought.

Maybe we need to get back to doable levels, and also consider what
changes Rb frequency, why and what can we do to avoid it.

I have been dipping my nose into the literature, to refresh myself on
the complex interactions. Lamp intensity in itself is a fashinating
topic, while the filtering cells temperature to intensity dependence is
another little complex field of its own and that (as I suspected)
intensity too pulls the frequency. Oh, and after a quick glaze, I found
that the necessary side-peaks needed for servo of C-field exists for
Rb-87, so it can be done similar to that of Cesium.

Cheers,
Magnus