[time-nuts] Timenoob - Cheap and simple 10MHz reference

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Mon Dec 28 05:11:08 UTC 2009

Hi

The simple answer on the supply is that there are a couple of answers.

Very little current is pulled from the -12 supply.  I can not imagine a supply that would not keep up with the -12 requirement.

The +12 supply mainly runs the OCXO in the unit. Since it's running an oven, the power will drop off after warmup. It will also be lower at higher temperatures. Depending on exactly which OCXO you get in your unit, the power may be a little higher or a little lower.

A 5V supply that can furnish 300 ma should be adequate.

All of the supplies needed *could* be pulled off of a typical desk top PC power supply. If you do go that way, be sure to put some simple RF filtering in the supply leads.

The unit it's self has a fairly basic case. Enclosing even in a simple pine box should improve it's performance. It would also protect the leads from getting damaged in use. The enclosure does not need to be elaborate. You should be able to make it for free from scrap materials.

I have bought Thunderbolts from several dealers on eBay over the last month. All of them seem to be supplying the same product (same date codes, and firmware). They all seem to be from 2003 or 2004. Some dealers ship faster than others, some include a HF power splitter, some include a power connector. I have not had any of the units on power long enough to know if some are actually better than others.

Good Luck!

Bob