[time-nuts] Sending me Lady Heather screen-captures....

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Dec 29 06:26:08 UTC 2009

> One mystery is that once or twice daily, the
> temperature graph exhibits a sharp, almost perfectly
> vertical spike which recovers over a period of a
> few minutes.  The temperature cannot possibly change
> that rapidly so there is something else going on.

Note that the existing (non-beta) version of LH has some pretty debatable
serial-port code in it.  You may just be seeing data corruption.  If it
happens with the 3.0 beta version, it's may be worth investigating.

> LH often indicates that the blue PPS ADEV and the
> red OSC ADEV are both in the high E-13 zone for several
> hours and then invariably, both will drop back to the
> mid E-12 zone and sometimes stay there for many hours.

Nature of the beast, really.  A single outlier can affect your whole ADEV
plot.

> Periodically, the violet PPS graph and the green DAC graph
> will go off scale for 10-15 minutes and I cannot find
> a reason for this-- it does not seem to be either
> temperature related or have anything to do with how
> strong the signals from the birds are or where the birds
> are relative to any tall tree foliage blocking the antenna
> sky view.

The auto-scaling has undergone some improvements, too... if you're not
running the beta, give that a try.

-- john, KE5FX