[time-nuts] Phase noise vs warmup or time

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 04:21:54 UTC 2009

If you have a spectrum analyzer, depending on its resolution, you can
also measure the phase noise directly.

When I worked in the Satellite Communications industry, we needed up and
down converters faster than our vendor could make them.  They use to go
thru a long QA process and they were very reliable.  We waved the long
QA test and tested the local oscillators in the field.  If they were
bad, we sent them back and they replaced them.

If you analyzer does not have the resolution, you can notch the carrier
and get more dynamic range or use the classic setup , which is the
"loose" phase lock loop.

Brian KD4FM