[time-nuts] Tbolt temperature sensor

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Feb 5 00:56:54 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

from my experience even a resolution of 0.25C is several orders of  magnitude
too low for use in holdover temperature compensation on an OCXO.

This would result in fairly massive EFC changes on the Thunderbolt ovens,
especially if they are single ovens with significant thermal sensitivity.  The
average error for a typical single oven OCXO due to this would be  ~1.25E-010,
see below.

To make this work somewhat smoothly, one would need at least 0.001C or
better 0.0001C resolution.

I can't get into too much detail, but our units allow for down to  ~0.000025C
resolution by using a 24 bit ADC for the temperature sensing. Keep in  mind
that for temperature compensation the absolute temperature is not of  interest,
but rather the change of temperature over time. This kind of  resolution is
not possible with I2C based absolute temp sensors, one needs  analog circuitry
feeding high-resolution Delta-Sigma ADC's. These  circuits are not accurate on
the absolute temperature, but they do have  very high resolution for relative
temperature changes.

A resolution of 0.25C would give you only 40 individual DAC settings for a
10C change as could be expected on a typical diurnal temperature change on a
lab  bench. This would make the frequency jump around and really sink the ADEV
performance of the unit during holdover.

To give you an example: a typical single-oven OCXO has about 1ppb per  degree
C change. This would mean the unit could only be adjusted by 2.5E-010  steps
with the Dallas Temp sensor as a reference. So the average error would be
1.25E-010, which results in a massive 12.5 microseconds average drift error in
1000s intervals due to the temperature quantization error!

The math looks better for double oven OCXO's, but not much.

I am pretty sure the Dallas chip is only used for environmental monitoring
of the absolute temperature, and not for compensation anywhere inside the PLL
loop.

Any Thunderbolt designers on this list??

bye,
Said

In a message dated 2/4/2009 12:45:51 Pacific Standard Time,