[time-nuts] Thunderbolt power supply open heart surgery

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:13:24 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Well I woke up the other morning at 2am to find all the power off in the
house. I was about to ring the power company and thought I'd better check my
meter box. Turns out one of the RCDs had tripped. I reset it and all was
fine.

What puzzled me was what tripped it. It took out my workshop, speaking
clock, various GPSDOs and an HP rubidium I've borrowed. However all was
working upon reset.

Today I downloaded Lady Heather and went to test it and noticed the
should-be-running Thunderbolt was cold. I checked the voltages from the
power supply and - nothing. Ignoring the life-or-death dire warnings on the
power supply case I opened it. It had *that* smell. You know the smell of
that special smoke that keeps all electronic components working because when
it's released they stop.

R1 is black and charred.

Can anyone tell me what value R1 is and/or where I might get a new power
supply (just in case it took other components with it)?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

Jim