[time-nuts] Roof-mount GPS antenna

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Wed Feb 18 02:04:06 UTC 2009

Down here in NZ, a common form of TV antenna mount is the 'hockey
stick', which is a J-shaped pole with a plate for barge-board or gable
mount (on a vertical surface) and a vertical pipe about 1m long and 20mm
diameter. A typical pipe-mount GPS antenna is easy to mount on this,
either directly threaded on, or clamped to the side with a U-bolt.

The threaded on connection is really tidy if you have the right antenna,
as the cable can go down through the pipe.

Another way to do pipe-mount is to strap a short length of suitable pipe
to a roof vent or chimney, but you'll have to be creative with where to
bring the cable in - perhaps over the edge of the roof, provide a drip
curve, then under the roof through the soffit or gable end and across
the attic and through the ceiling. Sewer pipe vents are good candidates.
Chimneys less so, unless they are unused.

I once used a hockey-puck magnetic mount type antenna on a small metal
plate, and chocked the plate horizontal on the sloping (metal) roof
using a block of wood. It worked fine, but had the bad habit of blowing
away in a storm, even when I weighted the plate down with bricks.

Look for TV hardware in your nearest DSE/Jaycar/Tandy/hardware store.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU