[time-nuts] (OT) Frequency and duration of roll out

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Feb 22 09:09:16 UTC 2009

In message <49A11470.6060002 at tiscali.co.uk>, Dave Ackrill writes:

>If you wanted to cheese off the instructor, you went to the roll of thin
>cotton tape, hanging on a roll on the wall, and pulled hard.  The weight
>of the tape coming off the roll was enough to spin the disk, thus
>bringing more tape off, which was heavy enough to spin the roll some
>more, so more tape came off, and so on.

This was a well know issue when manipulating the roll while splicing
audiotapes.

The funny thing was, 2" tapes are really strong.

We tied an old studio worktape to the trailer-hook of a friends car
when he got married.   The tape unrolled flawlessly, the roll
clattered wonderfully on the cobbles, and when they turned out of
the drive-way it snagged a lamppost and brought the car to a halt
until the groom went out and cut the tape :-)