[time-nuts] Different Thunderbolt versions

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 26 19:53:28 UTC 2009

Markus

If one used a GPS timing receiver like the M12M + T or equivalent a
single shot PPS phase error measurement resolution of 1ns or better is
desirable.
This is easily achieved using a microprocessor with built in charge
redistribution ADC and a simple interpolation circuit.

One can either devise a means of adjusting the rubidium frequency via
the C field or use a high resolution, low noise, low spur, synthesiser
with a small tuning range to produce an output frequency that is locked
to the GPS receiver PPS output.

With an appropriate receiver one could even use carrier phase data to
reduce the measurement noise potentially allowing shorter loop time
constants to be used.

Bruce