[time-nuts] Connector source for LPRO Rb oscillator...??

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Thu Jan 1 15:36:11 UTC 2009

In a message dated 01/01/2009 15:20:12 GMT Standard Time, didier at cox.net
writes:

As a  crimping tool, I use a small vise I have normally secured to my bench.
That  works very well. I have used it for about 15 years and made hundreds  of
cables for that type of connector, up to and including the 40 pin type  used
for hard drives (the old parallel ATA type).

It is too bad that  while the 10 pin connector is very common in older PCs to
connect the  serial ports from the mothercard to the rear panel, in that
application  they only crimp 9 wires (because there is a 9 pin serial
connector at the  other end), and the LPRO needs both wires at the end, so
while you may  reuse the connector itself (they are not too hard to take
apart, even  though you need to be careful if you intend to reuse the
connector), you  need to make a new cable.

I agree re the vise, having done the same myself, but in this  instance why
not just cut off part of an old floppy or hard drive  cable, enough to leave
the 10 sockets and attached wiring?

For personal use it's not so important to have a locating lug, and smaller
connectors quite often didn't have them anyway.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR