[time-nuts] Count up/down DAC circuit

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 19:17:08 UTC 2009

Steve

Here is another opinion to help add to your choices.

The hunting problem is EASY to fix many different ways.
It is basically done by anticipating what is going to happen next.

If it is done wrong It would indeed:
"exasperate any problems trying to lock a fast moving oxco or achieving lock in the first place"
If done correct, that does not need to be an issue.

To do it 'right' may not be easer to implement than something with a dead-zone BUT  more accurate.

As far "As for achieving lock in the first place with this idea"
This need not be a big issue, It needs to only depend on what the uncertainty of the 1PPS sync signal is,
so as not to resync on the wrong clock. That is max Jitter plus the down time phase error time.

As far as down time hold-over, It need not be a big problem as long as you have
something in there that is digital such as the DAC.
Just detect the fact that the GPS is down someway and shut down the Dac updates,
but don't try to use an analog holdover circuit if you want to hold more than a few minutes.

And I must agree mostly with what "Said" said:
"implementing a standard PI controller (in a  micro etc), and calculating it's stability etc
is much easier than getting this to work properly"
That is it is easier IF you are good at using micro's, mostly because that is the way it is usually done.
If you don't or can't use a micro, then its easier to do it without one.

The real problem is just how do you get an accurate signal to lock on to in the first place?

WarrenS