[time-nuts] Count up/down DAC circuit

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Jan 2 02:01:06 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

not sure if the LPF would help, some issues with analog sample and holds
with long time-constants were recently discussed on this group. I am not a fan
of these to implement a GPSDO loop.

I guess it depends on your dac steps too. If you have a 16 bit dac over a  5V
EFC, then you have +/-32K steps, or 32K seconds to adjust.That's a very slow
slope.

Also, take into consideration that the GPS and the OCXO will "jump" over  the
course of a typical day, and you need to track these jumps. Your tracking
speed may not be fast enough here.

Our best double-oven OCXO's still have ~+/-50 microvolt variations, and a
typical single oven may have +/-15mV variations over a 24 hour period. If you
don't have enough resolution, you will unnecessarily introduce quantization
noise, and if you do you would be lagging behind these natural changes.

What would probably work is if you over-sample the counter circuit to  say
100x to 1000x (or in other words being able to take 100 to 1000 LSB  steps per
second). That may prove to work out ok, and give you enough DAC  resolution and
DAC speed.

With an M12+ set to 100PPS you may just make this work well enough! My gut
feeling is it won't work with 1PPS, but may work with 100PPS.

And if your DAC LSB step is very small, say 5E-013, then your tracking  noise
would be quite small. Let's see, 100 steps per second, at 5E-13 per step
would give you a tracking speed of 5E-011 per second. That's probably good
enough.

A typical crystal jump of ~1E-09 would thus take only 20 seconds to  correct.
Sounds reasonable to me. Note that this is a frequency locked loop  rather
than a phase locked loop.

Let me know if you try it, and if you get it to work.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 12/30/2008 20:32:50 Pacific Standard Time,