[time-nuts] Leap Quirks

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Jan 3 21:34:24 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Warner" == M Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:

Warner> So what you've done is created a new time scale that is a UTC
Warner> from 1972 forward, but a simplified form of UTC prior to 1972
Warner> that didn't match what UTC was doing then.

Grrr!  Except s/you/they/; I didn't invent.

So right isn't quite, err, right.  I wonder whether the Olsen db can
be fixed to account for that?  right/UTC and posix/UTC currently are
identical for all (time_t)LONG_MIN <= time_t < 78796800.

Thanks for the reminder.  I had forgotten that entirely.  (And am
only just vaguely remembering that I used to know that fact.  [SIGH])

Warner> Yet another hazard of high precision time keeping that few
Warner> people get right

Part of what makes this list's name so appropriate is just how hard
it is, all things considered.  That is also what makes it enjoyable.

Warner> An understandable simplification, to be true, and one that's
Warner> often made...

Often, I'm sure, because not all sources document/remember that fact.

-JimC