[time-nuts] anyone know anything about an Eldorado 784 10ns TimeMeter?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jan 6 05:31:42 UTC 2009

>I picked up this Eldorado 784 meter for $10, primarily because of its
> Nixie tubes.
> However, this meter seems to still work.  I really hate to harvest
> Nixies from working
> equipment.
>
> So can anyone tell me if this is an instrument worth saving?  It looks
> like it can do
> period and time interval measurements.  Opened it up, and it appears to
> be 1971 date
> coded ICs, some TTL and a bunch I can't identify (maybe house numbered).
>
> Was this a good instrument?  Anyone happen to have a manual and schematics?
>
> Scott

Scott,

Some of these old Nixie counters are really cute. Not sure I'd
use one for my main counter, but it's fun to have one around
just for show, especially if it still works. You can get a op/svc
manual for it at:
http://www.manualsplus.com/manuals/ELDORADO/784

Worth saving is a subjective question. You see a lot of this old
stuff on eBay so it's not rare or anything. Send a photo or two
if you have one.

/tvb