[time-nuts] Standards sought for immunity of shielded cable links to power-frequency ground loops

Joseph M Gwinn gwinn at raytheon.com
Wed Jan 7 20:59:54 UTC 2009

Magnus,

time-nuts-bounces at febo.com wrote on 01/07/2009 01:27:52 AM:

> Joseph M Gwinn skrev:
> > First the background:
> >
> > In some timing distribution applications, the primary source of
> > interference comes from different ground voltages in different parts
of
> > the facility, such as a ship or a megawatt radar.

I left a useful detail out:  The reference signal is a 10 MHz sinewave.

> > The effect of differing ground potentials on a shielded cable is to
pull a
> > large current through the shield, so there is a significant voltage
> > between the ends of the cable.  No matter how good the shieldis at RF,

> > one consequence is that the same power-frequency offset voltage
appears on
> > the conductors within that shield, because the skin depth at 60 Hz
vastly
> > exceeds the thickness of any reasonable shield.  Unshielded twisted
pair
> > will suffer the same common-mode offset voltage, perhaps more.   This
> > offset often contains significant harmonics of the power frequency,
> > nominally up to the seventh harmonic, not just the fundamental.
> >
> > If the cable is shielded twisted pair, such as twinax, the offset
appears
> > as a common-mode voltage on the two conductors, and (if not too large)
is
> > eliminated by the CMRR of the receiver.
> >
> > If the cable is coax, the offset voltage appears added to the timing
> > signal voltage, and if the offset isn't too large the signal receiver
will
> > be sufficiently immune to this conducted EMI.
>
> For most purposes an isolation transformer would solve this issue. The
> unfortunate signal characteristics of a PPS pulse makes this a little
> more cumbersome, but not unachievable, but it is no longer a simple
> passive device. For higher frequencies will RF chokes be an aid of
> course, but the RF choke needs "bolting down" in order to be effective,
> so that there is a common mode current for the RF choke to object to.
> However, the RF choke is not as effective with lower frequencies and
> essentially useless for DC.

The receivers have built-in RF transformers.  There is no 1PPS signal per
se, although the transformer would probably pass such a signal well
enough.  What is being carried is 10 MHz.

The problem is to devise a test and spec that ensures that the actual
implemented circuit in the receivers suffice.  There are many ways to
botch this circuit.

> > And now the question:
> >
> > What standards exist governing required immunity of signal ports to
these
> > ground-loop induced power-frequency (hum) voltages?
> >
> > All the conducted suseptability standards I've found cover only
> > frequencies exceeding 10 KHz, not power frequencies and
theirharmonics.

> You should look into the telecom set of standards. If you think of it,
> they have been addressing this particular problem for ages. The words
> which probably get you right on the target is "bonding network" since
> you bond to the ground.

This is just the sort of lead I was hoping to find.

> In short, there are two grounding strategies: all gear is floating
> relative the safety ground or all gear is internally tied to the safety
> ground. There is benefits and problems with both strategies. Regardless,

> a hierarchial star ground strategy emerges.

In our systems, everything is tied to ground for both safety and RF
reasons unrelated to timing signals.  And we do have a star of sorts, but
the story always ends up more complex than that, so it always ends up
being a somewhat random grounding grid.

My problem is not safety, it is tolerance of conducted EMI.

> One document to start with is the "Qwest Technical Publication
> Grounding - Central Office and Remote Equipment Environment" at
> http://www.qwest.com/techpub/77355/77355.pdf
>
> Not to say that it is the standard of any sort, but I think it is a good

> document to start from as it is a public source of telecom bonding
> practices to be used in many facilities, implementing existing
> international standards and involving transmitting towers (which is
> within your field).
>
> IEC 60950 should be a standard reference regardless.
>
> You should also consult Bellcore GR-1089. There are additional Bellcore
> specs, but starting with GR-63 and GR-1089 is not totally off the mark
> at least. Bellcore specs costs money, but if you need to comply there is

> no alternative.
>
> ITU-T has a set of documents, such as the K-series of standards. You can

> download these for free at:
> http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-K/e
>
> The European telecom world uses ETSI EN 300 253 as basis. They require a

> login which you can get for free and then pull down all the documents
> you like. There is also alot of specific EMC documents for various
> contexts etc and they are all there. ETSI EMC is the TB handling them.
>
> On the military side, MIL-HDBK-419 may be a guide:
> http://tscm.com/MIL-HDBK-419A.PDF
>
> Old standard MIL-STD-188-124B:
> http://www.tscm.com/MIL-STD-188-124B.PDF
>
> Newer standard MIL-STD-1310 for ships:
> http://www.earth2.net/parts/basics/milstd1310g.pdf

I will be doing some homework.  Some of these are tomes.

> In the end, all these documents forms a reference of standards and
> practice in a varity of environments. I suspect that your environment
> does has some bonding standard and practice and you need to figure out
> what it is so that you know what you can expect, what you need to
> fullfill (which is limiting freedom on what methods you may apply!) and
> then it becomes easier to say what may help you. Also, you need to
> figure out what is the type of problems you run into, how disturbances
> actually induce into your lines. It could very well be that PSUs acts as

> EMF due to bad conditioning for instance.
>
> There are many anecdotes and horror stories to be told on the subject.
> There are also sucesses stories to be told.

We do have a bonding story, one that sort-of follows MIL-STD-1310, even
though the system is land based.

> What makes the field a bit complex is that you need to think about
> failures, EMC, bonding, interference, lightning strikes (on wire, in
> tower, on building) which can cause a disparity of various indirect
> effects. It's a bit like being a time-nut. We could probably have a
> separate email list setup for that kind of discussions alone.

Fortunately for me, I do not have to worry about lightning.  That's
handled elsewhere, as all these cables are within a steel-frame building
with a lightning protection system built in.

Joe