[time-nuts] GPSDO time constant

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 8 19:29:23 UTC 2009

When I worked in the special effects business, we used to use these all the time to move heavy stuff around. It actually doesn't require a "real flat" floor (1 cm grooves aren't a big issue).  Think about them as small hovercraft. It also doesn't take much air pressure to lift things (large area * small pressure).  For instance, folks build small hovercraft using electric leaf blowers as the pressurization fan to support a disk some 1.2m in diameter which will easily support a couple people.

The lift pads we used were about 30cm in diameter. 1 psi (7kPa) lifts about 50kg. Moving around 1 ton things with 4 pads wasn't unusual.

The rougher the floor, the more airflow you need.