[time-nuts] Standards sought for immunity of shielded cable links to power-frequency ground loops

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jan 8 19:56:29 UTC 2009

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <OF3277AC5A.F5D1FAE8-ON85257537.008059CF-85257537.00817C56 at mck.us.ra
> y.com>, Joseph M Gwinn writes:
>

>>> That's technically speaking not triax, that's double shield.  Triax
>>> would have the conductors and one shield.
>>>
>> No, I think that's twinax: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinax_cable>.
>>
>> Triax is a center plus two concentric shields:
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triaxial_cable>.
>>

> Sorry, I fumbled what I wrote there.  I would say wiki is wrong
> here, the usage I am used to is:
> 	coax: single conductor + shield
> 	twinax: twisted pair + shield
> 	triax: the wires + shield

Poul-Henning

I have been unable to find a reference to triax consisting of 3
conductors within a shield, however such confusion is understandable
given the confusion over quadrax:-

concentric conductors for triax, quadrax, quintax etc:

Cable Shielding for Electromagnetic Compatibility By Anatoly Tsaliovich

http://www.lemo.com/techlibrary/glossary.jsp?catID=003

Alternate definitions for quadrax (but not triax):

http://www.picwire.com/technical/Coax%20vs%20Triax.pdf

http://www.ecnmag.com/ethernet-cable-suits-aerospace.aspx?menuid=336

Triax consisting of a central conductor surrounded by 2 concentric
conductors is widely used to interconnect televsion cameras.

Bruce