[time-nuts] Enrico Rubiola's new book

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Jan 9 21:09:11 UTC 2009

Phase Noise and Frequency Stability in Oscillators:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521886775/

The UPS driver handed it to me 30 seconds ago, and I can already give it a
favorable review after opening it to a random page.  Exercise 6.2 on page
191: "Hack as many microwave oscillators as you can."

This book -- which I can immediately tell isn't long, dry, or
unreasonably-expensive -- seems like an effective marriage of math and
pragmatics, likely because it's based on the author's JPL tutorials and
industry lectures.  Looking through it, I'm seeing a lot of PN graphs which
are annotated with explanations of corner frequencies, slopes, and
comparisons with other sources, which are (IMHO) a great way to understand
what to expect from your own measurements.

Anyway: the book looks very approachable, relevant, and well-grounded in
hardware and processes often discussed on the list.  I'm looking forward to
spending some more time with it.

-- john, KE5FX