[time-nuts] Typical local oscillator specs for an analogue TV tuner

David I. Emery die at dieconsulting.com
Sun Jan 11 22:28:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:12:20PM +0200, Stephan Sandenbergh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has any one got an idea what the typical phase noise specs are for the LO
> inside an ordinary analogue TV tuner is?

	Many many generations here... most all current ones are PLL
synthesized but obviously many variants of free running and varactor
tuned exist in older TVs.

	Current QAM-256 cable ready tuners in sets with digital ATSC/QAM
capability have to have respectable phase noise - I beleive there is a
spec on what is recommended/expected but it is distinctly better than
NTSC analog ever required.   DOCSIS cable specs cover this...

	Synthesized tuners for analog NTSC TV didn't have to be very
good and  many obviously weren't... as low cost was paramount...

--
  Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die at dieconsulting.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in