[time-nuts] LPRO-101 Heatsinking

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 08:20:45 UTC 2009

Hi,
The LPRO is shown to run down to 18 volt supply which reduces the
power dissipation, see the graph in the manual.
Like Mike I put one on to a heatsink and used a tiny under-run 12V
fan to cool it.
I placed a thermistor on the heat sink and controlled the fan to keep
the heat sink to about 37C.
I insulated the assembly so it can handle low temperatures.
It hold this within +or- 0.05 degree, which is a tremendous assist to
the non-ovened XO.
It also reduces the power demand to about 7 or 8 watts.
There is a small burden on the MTBF specs, but in my book quite
acceptable.
When I finish building some more gear I will get the improved
performance data,
cheers, Neville Michie