[time-nuts] beryllium oxide

Eric Garner garnere at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 03:12:22 UTC 2009

Re: Beryllium was originally called glucinium becuase it and its salts
tasted very sweet.  In fact,   tasting used to be a diagnostic test
for the presence of beryllium.

I remember from my inorganic chem course that lead acetate was also
called "sugar of lead" because of it's sweet taste. and if tasting
lead salts doesn't send a shiver up your spine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_acetate

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Steve Rooke <sar10538 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys, isn't this whole thread getting a bit off-topic.

Yes, it is getting off topic. Delightfully so.

> 2009/1/17 Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>:
>> In message <49710157.5030900 at pacific.net>, Brooke Clarke writes:
>>
>>>I'd bet that's how spy sat mirrors are made.
>>
>> Your Tax Money At Work Quiz:
>>
>> 1.  Why do you think there was so little research involved in the
>>    mirror construction for the Webb Telescope ?
>>
>> 2.  Why do you think the KeyHole satellites where so friggin expensive ?
>>
>> 3.  Connect the dots.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
>> phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
>> FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
>> Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

>> and follow the instructions there.
>>

> --
> Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD & JAKDTTNW
> Omnium finis imminet