[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 19 22:04:57 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have a piece of equipment with a Wenzel 5 MHz oscillator from the
Timekeeper <http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/Oscillators/TMK.pdf> line.
It's functioning (that is, it's on frequency), but the output level is
20 - 30 db lower than it should be.  The level seems to change every
time I turn it on.  By the way, this unit does NOT have an option to
disable the output.  I saw that was listed in one of the Timekeeper
documents that I found.

It seems a shame to junk it when the repair is probably easy.  The
challenge is how to get into the thing in the first place.  Does anyone
have any hints & tips on how to open or repair one of these soldered-can
oscillators?  I found a page
<http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS-oven-journey.htm> that described
opening an HP 10811 from a Z3801A, but more ideas are always welcome.

Thanks,
Ed