[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 20 01:12:37 UTC 2009

> Message: 8
> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:22:12 +1300
> From: Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
>
> Ed Palmer wrote:
>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have a piece of equipment with a Wenzel 5 MHz oscillator from the
>> > Timekeeper <http://www.wenzel.com/pdffiles1/Oscillators/TMK.pdf> line.
>> > It's functioning (that is, it's on frequency), but the output level is
>> > 20 - 30 db lower than it should be.  The level seems to change every
>> > time I turn it on.  By the way, this unit does NOT have an option to
>> > disable the output.  I saw that was listed in one of the Timekeeper
>> > documents that I found.
>> >
>> > It seems a shame to junk it when the repair is probably easy.  The
>> > challenge is how to get into the thing in the first place.  Does anyone
>> > have any hints & tips on how to open or repair one of these soldered-can
>> > oscillators?  I found a page
>> > <http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS-oven-journey.htm> that described
>> > opening an HP 10811 from a Z3801A, but more ideas are always welcome.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ed
>> > and follow the instructions there.
>> >

> Ed
>
> Acts like it has a broken internal wire or similar.
>
> The first thing to do is to determine how the base is sealed/connected
> to the can.
>
> It could be:
>
> 1) Soldered - unlikely (but not impossible) given the plastic foam
> insulation within the can

I'm pretty sure it's soldered.  When I started hacking at it, it cut
like solder.

> 2) Bonded with adhesive?

I've never seen an oscillator sealed with adhesive.  I know - never say
never.  Let's say that all the ones I've seen have been either soldered
or cold welded.  Like you, I've always wondered how they did it without
melting the foam.
> 3) Spot welded?

No spots to be seen.  I don't think this case style lends itself to a
continuous spot weld or cold weld style seal.  I'd expect to see flanges
for that.  Not to mention this case is pretty thick for that kind of seal.
> Can you post close up images of the base and the other end with the
> adjustment seal screw removed?

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww18/edpalmer42/wenzel.jpg

Why do you want to see the other end?

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww18/edpalmer42/Wenzelotherend.jpg