[time-nuts] Wenzel Oscillator Repair

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Jan 20 05:20:54 UTC 2009

I used a fiberglass-reinforced cutoff wheel.  This can open practically
anything, but it puts a lot of vibration and dust into the innards of
whatever you're taking apart.  My guess was that this was safer than using a
torch.

Since I wasn't going to be able to maintain the original hermeticity, I
remounted the oscillator in a Hammond box, like so:

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/w1.jpg

I brought the trimmer (which was also damaged in this particular oscillator)
and oven-status LED out to the box lid, along with the four original
terminals.  Makes a nice package that can be easily opened for maintenance:

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/w2.jpg

The repackaged OCXO seems to work fine.  I haven't made any hardcore
measurements with it but I can tell just by watching the counter that its
short-term stability is similar to my other unmolested 5 MHz ULN.

-- john, KE5FX