[time-nuts] ADEV vs. OADEV

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 21 08:32:51 UTC 2009

Hi!

I have been quite surprised to see the abbreviation OADEV appear. I
assume that this means Overlapped Allan Deviation, but this is confusing
since the Allan Deviation estimates already is overlapping. However, I
have seen that some use a non-overlapping estimator, but this type of
estimator has an unwanted filtering effect and should not be used.

If a distinction between these ADEV estimators should be used, then the
standard (overlapping) estimator should continue to be called ADEV and
the non-overlapping (back-to-back) could be called NOADEV ór whatever...

I have done a fair amount of digging around many sources around ADEV and
friends so I think I got it right.

Unless someone can give a meaningful explanation and I really expect a
good article detailing the difference and benefits...

Cheers,
Magnus